I installed a new Windows Server 2008 R2 and I hosted my own web server. All was going well until I tried to connect a virtual directory to an Access database driven site and I received this error:
Error 500: Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed.
After a short search, I found that I needed to enable 32bit applications on this 64bit OS.
The easiest way to do this is to follow these steps:
- Open IIS manager on your server
- Click on the Application Pools link in the left column
- Click on the application pool for your website
- Choose Advanced Settings from the right column
- One of the first options should state “Enable 32-bit applications”. By default it is set to FALSE. Change this to TRUE.
And that’s it. Simple aye!?